- Astronaut John Glenn's Mercury spacecraft, Friendship 7, carried this survival kit, or one just like it, when he became the first American to orbit the Earth on February 20, 1962. Included are a life raft, pocket knife, signaling mirror, shark repellent, seawater desalting tablets, sunscreen, soap, first aid kit, and other items.
- The Smithsonian originally received this kit installed in Friendship 7 when NASA gave the spacecraft to the National Air Museum in 1962.
- Data Source
- National Air and Space Museum
- Credit Line
- Transferred from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- CONTENTS - PLASTIC, GLASS, COTTON, ALUMINUM, ETC.
- EQUIPMENT POUCH - NYLON WEBBING
- EXTERIOR POUCH - COATED NYLON, BRASS SNAPS
- LIFE RAFT - COATED TEXTILE, NYLON CORD
- WATER CONTAINER - NEOPRENE COATED NYLON
- 3-D: 26.7 x 61 x 12.7cm (10 1/2 x 24 x 5 in.)
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.