Space Food, Applesauce, Friendship 7
- This partially consumed tube of applesauce was issued to astronaut John Glenn to eat aboard his Friendship 7 mission on February 20, 1962. At the time of this mission, it was unknown if astronauts would be able to swallow anything while weightless, and Glenn's ability to swallow the applesauce proved that it was possible.
- NASA transferred this food container with Friendship 7 and its contents to the Museum in 1963.
- Data Source
- National Air and Space Museum
- Credit Line
- Transferred from NASA
- Metal, velcro, plastic
- 3-D: 22.9 x 5.7 x 1.9cm (9 x 2 1/4 x 3/4 in.)
- PERSONAL EQUIPMENT-Food & Food Accessories