- Robert Carlen Galleries, Philadelphia
- Leon C. Sunstein, Philadelphia, by 1947
- Harris Goldstein, Philadelphia, by 1947-2 May 1956
- Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, 2 May 1956, sale no. 1675, lot no. 59
- Jane Wade Rosenberg, New York, 2-3 May 1956
- Joseph H. Hirshhorn, New York, 3 May 1956-17 May 1966
- Gift of Joseph H. Hirshhorn, 1966
- Exhibition History
- [CARLEN GALLERIES, Philadelphia. "Horace Pippin Exhibition," 29 January-18 February 1940, possibly one of burned wood panels, nos. 23-27?]
- PHILADELPHIA ART ALLIANCE. "Horace Pippin Memorial Exhibition," 8 April-4 May 1947, no. 59 [Collection of Leon C. Sunstein, Philadelphia].
- DELAWARE ART MUSEUM, WILMINGTON SOCIETY OF FINE ARTS. "Four Delaware Valley Primitives," 22 February-24 March 1974, no. 55.
- LOS ANGELES COUNTY MUSEUM OF ART. "Black American Artists: 1750-1950," 28 September 1976-21 August 1977. Tour: HIGH MUSEUM, Atlanta; DETROIT INSTITUTE OF ARTS; BROOKLYN MUSEUM OF ART.
- MUSEUM OF AFRICAN AMERICAN LIFE AND CULTURE, Bishop College, Dallas. "Six Black Masters of American Art," 12 February-10 April 1983.
- THE BRANDYWINE RIVER MUSEUM OF ART, Chaddsford, PA. "Horace Pippin: The Way I See It," 25 April - 19 July 2015, no. 23, color ill. pg. 112.
- Published References
- PIERCE, PONCHITTA. "Black Art in America," Reader's Digest 112 (June 1978), colorplate.
- STEIN, JUDITH, et al. I Tell My Heart: The Art of Horace Pippin (Philadelphia: Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art, 1993), no. 60, p. 84.
- Data Source
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Horace Pippin, American, b. West Chester, Pennsylvania, 1888–1946
- Credit Line
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, Gift of Joseph H. Hirshhorn, 1966
- Oil with wood burning on wood
- 10 x 19 5/8 in. (25.2 x 49.7 cm)