Prelude of Spring
- Samuel M. Kootz Gallery, New York, to 24 January 1959
- Joseph H. Hirshhorn, New York, 24 January 1959-17 May 1966
- Gift of the Joseph H. Hirshhorn Foundation, 1966
- Exhibition History
- KOOTZ GALLERY, New York. "Hans Hofmann: Paintings of 1958," 6-31 January 1959, cat.
- AMERICAN FEDERATION OF ARTS, New York (organizer). "Paintings from the Joseph H. Hirshhorn Foundation Collection: A View of the Protean Century," no. 37. TOUR: M. KNOEDLER & CO., New York, 31 October-24 November 1962; CURRIER GALLERY OF ART, Manchester, New Hampshire, 16 December-12 January 1963; CARNEGIE INSTITUTE, Pittsburgh, 30 January-26 February; EVANSVILLE MUSEUM OF ARTS AND SCIENCE, Indiana, 16 March-12 April; MUNSON-WILLIAMS PROCTOR INSTITUTE, Utica, New York, 30 April-27 May; J. B. SPEED ART MUSEUM, Louisville, 13 June-10 July; MINNEAPOLIS INSTITUTE OF ARTS, 30 July-25 August; SEATTLE ART MUSEUM,11 September-8 October; SAN FRANCISCO MUSEUM OF ART, 26 October-23 November; COLORADO SPRINGS FINE ART CENTER, 11 December-7 January 1964; DALLAS MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS, 26 January-23 February; OKLAHOMA ART CENTER, Oklahoma City, 12 March-8 April; BROOKS MEMORIAL ART GALLERY, Memphis, 25 April-23 May; ATLANTA ART ASSOCIATION, 10 June-7 July; SAGINAW ART MUSEUM, Michigan, 25 July-22 August; MONTREAL MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS, 8 September-6 October; ALLENTOWN ART MUSEUM, Pennsylvania, 24 October-21 November; MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS, Boston, 9 December-10 January 1965; BROOKLYN MUSEUM, New York, 8 February-5 April.
- STADTISCHE GALERIE IM LENBACHHAUS, Munich. "Hans Hofmann," 23 April-29 June 1997, no. 5, color ill. TOUR: SCHIRN KUNSTHALLE, Frankfurt, 12 September-2 November.
- NAPLES MUSEUM OF ART, Naples, Florida. "Hans Hofmann: Fifty Years," 1 November 2003-21 March 2004.
- Published References
- GREENBERG, CLEMENT. "Hans Hofmann: Grand Old Rebel," Art News LVII/9 (January 1959), p. 29, ill. p. 27.
- HUNTER, SAM. Hans Hofmann (New York: Abrams, 1963), ill. 95.
- Data Source
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Hans Hofmann, American, b. Weissenburg, Germany, 1880–1966
- Credit Line
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, Gift of the Joseph H. Hirshhorn Foundation, 1966
- Oil on canvas
- 50 1/4 x 84 1/4 in. (127.7 x 214 cm)