Undersea creature (ningyo or mermaid)
- Previous custodian or owner
- Christie's (Amsterdam)
- Sydney L. Moss Ltd.
- Sale, Christie’s, Amsterdam, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Himalayan and Southeast Asian Art, October 18, 1995, Sale #2276, lot 502: “A Set of Three Watercolours Depicting a Ningyo.” 
- From 1995 to 1997
- Sydney L. Moss Ltd., London, England, purchased at the Sale, Christie’s, Amsterdam, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Himalayan and Southeast Asian Art, October 18, 1995, Sale #2276. 
- From 1997
- Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from Sydney L. Moss Ltd., London, England. 
-  See letter from Sydney L. Moss Ltd. Dated May 19, 1997, object file, Collections Management Office. According to the letter the Sydney L. Moss Ltd purchased the painting from Christie’s Amsterdam.
-  See note 1.
-  See Acquisition Consideration Form, object file, Collections Management Office.
- Data Source
- Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
- Kawahara Keiga 川原慶賀 (ca. 1786-1860)
- ca. 1828
- Edo period
- Credit Line
- Purchase — Charles Lang Freer Endowment
- Ink and color on Dutch paper
- H x W: 48.4 x 35.5 cm (19 1/16 x 14 in)