The First Katsuo of the Season
- Previous custodian or owner
- Joshua Hutchinson Hutchinson (ca. 1829-1891)
- Sotheby's (London)
- David Newman
- Hutchinson Collection 
- Sale, London, Sotheby’s, Japanese Prints, Paintings and Works of Art, November 13, 1996, Sale #LN6704, lot 13: “Totoya Hokkei (1780-1850): The First Katsuo of the Season” 
- David Newman, London, purchased at Sale, London, Sotheby’s, Japanese Prints, Paintings and Works of Art, November 13, 1996, Sale #LN6704” 
- From 1996
- Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from David Newman, London 
-  According to Sotheby’s, London auction catalogue for Sale#LN5704, the hanging scroll was previously in the collection of Hutchinson.
-  See object file, Collections Management Office.
-  See note 2.
-  See Acquisition Consideration Form, object file, Collections Management Office.
- Data Source
- Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
- Totoya Hokkei 魚屋北渓 (1780-1850)
- late 18th-mid 19th century
- Edo period
- Credit Line
- Purchase — Charles Lang Freer Endowment
- Ink and color on silk
- H x W (image): 108.2 × 54.9 cm (42 5/8 × 21 5/8 in)