A crouching, snarling tiger
- Previous custodian or owner
- Hiromichi Shugio (1853-1927) (C.L. Freer source)
- Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919)
- To 1906
- H. Shugio, to 1906 
- From 1906 to 1919
- Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), given by H. Shugio in 1906 
- From 1920
- Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
-  H. Shugio is probably Shugio Hiromichi (1853-1927), manager of the First Manufacturing and Trading Company, in New York. See Original Kakemono and Makimono List, L. 206, pg. 45, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
-  See note 1.
-  The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Data Source
- Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
- Gantoku Aoki (1804-1859)
- early 19th century
- Edo period
- Credit Line
- Gift of Charles Lang Freer
- Ink and color on silk
- H x W (image): 95.5 × 36 cm (37 5/8 × 14 3/16 in)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.