Incense container with Chinese lion-dog on lid
- Previous custodian or owner
- Samuel Colman (1832-1920)
- American Art Association (established 1883) (C.L. Freer source)
- Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919)
- To 1902
- Samuel Colman (1832-1920), New York, NY, and Newport, RI, to 1902 
- From 1902 to 1919
- Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased at the sale of the Samuel Colman Collection, American Art Association, New York, March 19-22, 1902 
- From 1920
- Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
-  See Original Pottery List, L. 1129, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. Samuel Colman was collecting Asian objects by at least 1880 (see Curatorial Remark 8, Louise Cort, April 20, 2007, in the object record).
-  See note 1.
-  The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Data Source
- Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
- 19th century
- Edo period
- Credit Line
- Gift of Charles Lang Freer
- Raku-type earthenware with red slip under clear lead glaze; partial gilding
- H x W x D: 5.2 x 5.2 x 4.3 cm (2 1/16 x 2 1/16 x 1 11/16 in)
- Raku ware, unknown workshop