Study for Maximum Mass Permitted by the 1916 New York Zoning Law, Stage 4
- Rendering of very dark, monumental high-rise building consisting of tall set back central tower, flanked by two smaller towers, each with set back upper stories. Dramatic "fan" of light rays in background. This is an early proposal for the set back skyscraper form that was to characterize many skyscrapers built from the mid-1920s to the ca.1950s.
- Data Source
- Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum
- Hugh Ferriss, American, 1889–1962
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mrs. Hugh Ferriss
- Black crayon, stumped, pen and black ink, brush and black wash, varnish on illustration board
- 66.8 × 51 cm (26 5/16 × 20 1/16 in.)
- Object Name
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.